The Militant Libertarian

I'm pissed off and I'm a libertarian. What else you wanna know?

Monday, March 14, 2005

Why I Don't Have A Concealed Weapons Permit

From: AmericainDenial.com

I am relatively well known for being adamant that whenever possible, an adult should carry a weapon. The state is not responsible for your individual safety, and this has been affirmed by numerous court decisions, up to and including the Supreme Court.

Given this, many have asked me at one time or another why I don't have a CCW or CHL permit. The answer to this is very simple: I abhor the very idea of asking the state for permission to defend my life and property, paying a fee for that right, or jumping through varied and numerous legal hoops to exercise that right. In addition, my experience has been that government is not to be trusted in any activity that requires registration of firearms or firearms owners. There have been numerous times when the so-called 'registrations' have been used to confiscate weapons and/or arrest or detain firearms owners, most notably in New York City and in Washington, D.C.

No matter what any politician or political body says, registration is ALWAYS a prelude to confiscation. It may take years, or even decades, but the politicians who solemnly promised that those registrations would "NEVER" be used against gun owners will eventually be out of office, even if they meant the promise in the first place. The members of the opposing party will then undertake to undo all the good work the original party in power did.

This may be because of 'terrorists', it may be 'for the children', it may be as a result of some idiot using his weapons in an unlawful or violent manner without due cause. No matter what the excuse is, there will always be those who cannot stand the idea of self-confident and courageous citizens defending themselves, or as they put it, taking the law into their own hands.

Well, that is exactly where the law is SUPPOSED to be in this country, in the hands of the citizens!

Many have said I am paranoid. To some degree, this may be true. However, when all you have to go on is the history of what has happened on a particular issue, and this in turn gives you a negative image of those charged with dealing with that issue, is it really paranoia? I don't really think so.

So, that is why I don't have a CCW permit. At this point in time, I don't really see that changing. It may, however. At some point I may decide that the advantages of having a CCW permit outweigh the potential disadvantages. If I do, I will go through the training, pay the tax on defending my life like a good little citizen, and get the piece of paper that says I am entitled to exercise the Divine-given right of self-defense. I will do this with my stomach churning madly, and total disgust with both myself and with the system that puts itself above the Divine. In the meantime, I will still be armed, and will still defend my self, my family, and my home against anyone who attempts to violate any or all of these.

-----
Got comments? Email me, dammit!
Permanent link for this article which can be used on any website:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home