The Militant Libertarian

I'm pissed off and I'm a libertarian. What else you wanna know?

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Carrying a Gun Is a Civilized Act

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social
interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is
the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for an armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed—either by choice or by legislative fiat—it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways.

Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker.

If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation . . . and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

—Author Unknown

-----
Got comments? Email me, dammit!
Permanent link for this article which can be used on any website:

3 Comments:

  • At 12:06 PM, June 08, 2007 , Blogger Kent McManigal said...

    That was really beautiful. Thanks for posting it.

     
  • At 8:44 PM, June 09, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My peeve for literally years has been the lack of good information on the bad people in our communities.

    So I did something about it.

    I created the website www.religiousfreedomwatch.org

    It has been out there for some time but given the sorry state of the world and the ever growing number of terrorists on every corner I thought I would let you know about it.

    Hardly a day goes by that it is not voted either the most useful or the most ethical site on the internet.

    If you wonder if the new girl at your office is a Jihad cell extremist, this site will tell you.

    If you wonder if a guy you met is really a child molestor, this site will tell you.

    Don't be surprised if I tell you this site is the one used by the FBI CIA and Homeland Security as well as media to check things. Major airlines express thanks daily that we are there to keep the next group of 9-11 suicide Muslims off their flights. Even though I think religious freedom is important this whole business of Extreme Jihadist Islam is one of the major issues we are facing in the 21st century. I am trying to do something about it!

    Now this site is free and it always will be. My company is American Coast Title and it is very profitable. We pay all of the fees for this site and keep it up to date. Not long ago we helped a special task force capture wanted terrorist and fugitive bomb maker and grave robber Keith Henson!

    Right now we are updating our files on Ida Camburn. This “grandma” is nothing but trouble. She provides safe haven to just about any criminal who knocks on her door. She hates families and religion and there’s just no telling what she’ll do next. But don’t worry, the site will always have the latest information on her.

    But I have a problem. A bunch of Indonesians are attacking me. I am offering a substantial reward, paid once again by the company, for your help in finding and stopping these zealots.

    You can see the details on the reward section of the site. You can also email me at jphillips@actfortitle.com or also mlundgren@actfortitle.com or also asolorzano@actfortitle.com or also fberriz@actfortitle.com or also jsmith@actfortitle.com or also cbryant@actfortitle.com or also the actual reward email itself reward5000@earthlink.net

    Help us stop these guys and put some clean cash in your pocket!

    Joel Phillips
    publisher of www.religiousfreedomwatch.org and owner of American Coast Title

    by the way professionals in my industry are free to contact me if they do not believe that I am the one who put up this site as a free public community resource!!

     
  • At 8:50 PM, June 18, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Credit where due:

    Why the Gun is Civilization.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home